Longarm and Domestic Machine classes are available.
APQS long arm machines are available for you to rent in my studio.
All you need to do is complete a training session, then sign up for times you want to quilt. You can quilt on a longarm before you invest in one for your own home.
Give us a call if you want to join the ranks of fellow longarmers.
Beginners Class in Longarm Quilting
In this six-hour class, the goal is to teach you the skills you'll need to accomplish a typical quilting project on your new longarm machine. Whether you intend to start a business or just want to get your quilts done faster, you'll learn valuable techniques to accomplish your projects creatively and efficiently. This class is mostly "demonstration" so we can squeeze in as much information as possible. Classes begin at 9:30 a.m. and are typically finished between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m., depending on student questions.
We will cover specific topics during each class, however, each class is unique and based on the needs of the students. We encourage questions and active participation -- you're here to learn!
Some of the areas covered during this six-hour class include:
- Business tips
- Supply issues
- Machine functions
- Customer contact and consultation.
- Different ways to load a quilt
- How to conquer pantographs
- Basic custom quilting skills like border designs, blocks, stitching
- Whether you intend to start a business or just want to get your quilts done faster, you'll learn valuable techniques to accomplish your projects creatively and efficiently. This class is mostly "demonstration" so we can squeeze in as much information as possible. Class fee: $200 (Free with machine purchase.)
Advanced Beginner Longarm (and Domestic Machine) Quilting
This 6-hour follow-up class to the beginner class takes you beyond pantographs and simple overall designs and pushes you to become more comfortable with your freehand quilting skills. You'll have classroom time as well as hands-on machine time during the day. While you will still have to practice what you learn once you get home, you'll have a head start on design skills, pattern selection and execution. You may wish to bring a notebook, camera and any questions you have been accumulating about how to take your quilting to the next level. Classes begin at 9:30 a.m., with a majority of the afternoon for hands-on experience. The concepts taught in this class is adaptable to domestic machine quilters.
Here are just some of the techniques you'll learn:
- How to deal with less common quilt situations such as flannel, batik and polar fleece
- Batting and thread choices
- Designing your own patterns
- Using quilting to camouflage poorly constructed quilts
- Beginning feather and background design quilting techniques.
- You'll have plenty of time to practice your new skills during the hands-on practice time built in to the course. Attendance is limited. Class fee: $150
Stumped with fills? Need ideas for that background design? We will explore several fill options you can use to jazz up your quilts and take them to the next level. This 3-hour class is for the confident beginner. Upon completion of this class you will be able to draw and develop your own style of background fills. The concepts taught in this class is adaptable to domestic machine quilters. Class fee: $50
Borders, Sashings, and Corner Techniques
What should you do to make your quilt look finished? In this class you will practice drawing and developing your own style of designs for borders, sashings and corners. This 3-hour class is for the confident beginner. Class fee: $50